Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Sunshine Honey Mustard Dip

Copyright 2007 by Cooking With The Single Guy

Ingredients:
¼ cup yellow mustard
¾ cup mayonnaise
2 T honey
hot sauce from a squeeze bottle

In a small bowl, whisk mustard, mayonnaise and honey until well blended. Using a squeeze bottle, squirt a smiley face out of your favorite hot sauce. (I used my tangy hot sauce that I recently got from Vietnam.)
Makes one cup. Serve with chicken tenders or nuggets.

TIP: I used yellow mustard to get the dominant yellow color for the dip to match the yellow of the Volkswagon van from the movie, “Little Miss Sunshine.” My local Safeway had an organic brand of yellow mustard. But if you don’t like the intense flavor of yellow mustard, you can substitute with dijon mustard.

SAFETY FIRST: Sure, nothing makes a party more memorable than shared food poisoning. But your days of sloppy college parties are over! When serving this dip for a party, do not let the bowl sit out for more than two hours because it contains mayonnaise. Instead, make a big batch of the dip and keep it in the refrigerator. Then get a smaller bowl and use that to serve some of the dip and replenish as needed throughout your party.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chef Ben: I was excited to see the dipping sauce recipe -- until I saw it has mayonnaise in it. I hate mayonnaise!!! Any suggestions for a dipping sauce to go with the chicken that doesn't include my most hated condiment? -- David

Single Guy Ben said...

Ah-ha, so you're one of them. I really don't get why some people are so against mayonnaise. It's so bland in nature that it's almost Switzerland.

The use of mayonnaise in this dip is mostly to provide texture (helping it be smooth and creamy) and to soften the hard-edge taste of the yellow mustard. So look for something that can do the same trick.

In researching other recipes, I saw that some people use sour cream or yogurt. I would say try sour cream and maybe add a bit more honey to counter the sourness of the cream. I did experiment with the yogurt I have at home and I have to say, yogurt is not a good substitute because the dip was more runny and tasted a bit odd. But it could have been the yogurt I had. If you have a good yogurt that you've used in the past to make dressing or dips, then try that instead.