Tuesday, June 26, 2007

What I Would Have Done: The Comfort Food Challenge

In this past week's The Next Food Network Star, the contestants made comfort food dishes for a group of Marines. My favorite comfort food is meatloaf, I think because I love mushing it against the mashed potatoes that are often served with it. Below is my recipe for meatloaf. It's actually an adaptation of a turkey meatloaf recipe by Ina Garten, the Barefoot Contessa. But of course, her recipe makes a lot of servings and uses a lot of ingredients. I pared down the serving size since I'm the Single Guy Chef, and added a few twists to it with chicken sausages I had in the refrigerator and sweet potatoes because they're good for you. (Sweet potatoes supposedly can help you prevent skin cancer.) I also think comfort food is eating what you like, and I like salsa so I use salsa to top my meatloaf instead of regular tomato paste or ketchup. This is a pretty healthy dish because of the lean turkey used and it's flavorful because of the added sausages (also lean). I served it with roasted garlic mashed potatoes with chives and sauteed broccotini. Enjoy!

No comments: