Friday, December 08, 2006

What's in my frig?

A constant in my refrigerator is a tub of plain yogurt. There are so many different types of yogurt out there, but for the last few years I've been eating this Dannon brand yogurt that I get at my local Safeway. It's fat-free and has a nice, smooth texture. And it's vanilla flavor. I'm a big vanilla guy (as opposed to all you chocolate lovers).

Yogurt is good for you and make a great healthy snack. I've read that if you eat low-fat yogurt the night before, it helps you lose weight because the snack keeps your metabolism working while you're asleep but it's not heavy that keeps you up at night. Yogurt is a good source for calcium, which everyone needs to be concerned about (it's not just for old, frail people). Adults need about 1,000 mg of calcium a day. Most Americans get half of that in their regular diet. One cup of low-fat calcium gives you about 275 mg. (If you want more calcium, hard cheese gives you more than 300 and sardines with bones are the best source with close to 350 mg.) I'll eat my yogurt with fresh fruits. At this time, I'll add a lot of citrus like fresh orange slices. It's like a Creamsicle! During the summer, my favorite is to add cubes of fresh watermelon. Nice!

This has been my healthy report for the week! Have a nice weekend, and get your yogurt!

No comments: