Thursday, March 01, 2007

When Life Gives You Lemons ...

Whenever I need a pick me up, the freshness of a lemon always does the trick. (I mean, really, just look at my banner.) But why do they have to be so expensive? Lately my Safeway is selling it for 99 cents each! Yep, that's right. One itty bitty lemon for nearly a dah-lah. Whenever regular lemons get so pricey, I say go all the way and spend just a bit more for some Meyer lemons. I recently bought some from my favorite Fresno farmer who sets up a booth at the San Francisco Ferry Building farmers market. Then I used the Meyer lemons to create the pie below. This is a standby recipe I found on the Internet awhile back. It's an interesting combination of lemon bar and custard pie. And it's so good with fresh lemons (and all you really need is two or three large lemons). Of course, I added a teaspoon of vanilla extract to the recipe (I put a dash of vanilla in virtually all my sweet cooking) and I used a frozen pie crust. I don't really have room on my kitchen countertop to be spreading out dough and making crust. So I just buy the pre-made frozen crust. (OK, before you start calling me Sandra Lee, just remember that this blog is all about quick and easy. If you feel up to making your own crust, the recipe is included below. Go for it!) Enjoy!

No comments: