Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Goodbye (Ugly) Kitchen

I haven't been cooking lately, partly because I've had this lingering cold since the new year, but primarily because I've been busy planning my kitchen renovation.

My friends know I've been talking and talking about renovating my kitchen since I moved into my apartment five years ago. I knew I had to renovate when I bought it because the kitchen was a mess ... no real counter tops (just plywood with contact paper pasted on top) and drawers with missing handles and linoleum floors. I can't believe I've actually cooked in this condition for the last five years.

But starting tomorrow it's all going to change. I'm finally starting my renovation, and while I'm not going to make any major structural changes, I'm going to replace everything. So that means new cabinets, new counter tops, new flooring, and new appliances.

I've dreaded the idea of living in a construction zone, but because my kitchen is super small (less than 90 square feet), it really should be a simple job and everything should be completed in a week.

The following are just a few of my plans. But don't worry, I'll be giving you updates throughout the process. Fingers-crossed that I survive.

4 comments:

Kim said...

Oooh! Can't wait to see it!

foodhoe said...

yay that is very exciting! I have some cabinets that were placed over a window with glass doors so they let the light in, it really brightens up the wood-faced cabinets. 90 sq feet!

JulieK said...

cool, can't wait to see the progress!

Carolyn Jung said...

I like the color of the cabinets you're getting. Very warm, which is especially nice in a small kitchen. Oooh, can't wait to see what it's like when it's all done. But I bet you can't wait even more. ;)