Tuesday, March 25, 2008

In the Kitchen: Pan-Seared Scallops



Seared scallops are one of my favorite meals to make—for myself or often as a starter for a dinner party. There’s something about the caramelizing of the scallops that brings out the flavor of this delicate shell fish. Scallops are like a good piece of meat. All you need is salt and pepper and a quick fry on high heat. You can never cook them wrong, unless you char them.

I debated whether to make a video about me cooking scallops because it’s so easy it’s like watching butter melt. But then I thought, hey, maybe this will show someone who’s intimidated by the idea of pan-seared scallops to actually make them because it really is so simple? And this video will prove that. In the video I plated my scallops over a lemon-mint risotto. The full recipe is below. Enjoy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wow, Chef Ben your one-handed cooking is impressive! I have had overcooked scallops before when they were hard as a hockey puck, so it is possible... looks delicious, especially after you tossed in the butter!