Sunday, April 11, 2010

There's a Food Revolution Going On

Have you guys been watching "Jamie's Food Revolution" on ABC? I'm a big fan of Oliver (hooked from his "Naked Chef" days on BBC), so I've been tuning in. The premise of the reality show is Chef Oliver comes to a small town in West Virginia to try to change their eating habits, starting with the school lunch program.

He did something similar in his home country of Great Britain, but I think he's been surprised by his work in the United States. Lesson learned? Americans are stuck with their habits, as demonstrated by the eating habits of the kids at this school. Plus, the cafeteria workers aren't very supportive of healthy eating if it means more work. And Obama's wondering why our kids are no longer the leaders of innovation?

Despite the criticism Oliver has had to face while doing this show (along with all the skeptics), I have to say that he really has his heart in the right place. So I think his efforts should be applauded instead of stomped on. I mean, why fight against someone who just wants your kids to eat better? Damn the bureaucracy!

You should tune in to watch, but more than that you should do something to help. The first step is to go to the show's Web site and sign Oliver's petition. He's not doing the show just for more attention, he really indeed wants change and this petition is going to demonstrate to government officials that more than one person wants a change too. I've signed it and I encourage you all to sign it as well. Even though I'm single and don't have any kids, I do have nephews and nieces and lots of friends with kids, and I want to see them grow up with a healthy chance for success. So don't just sit and watch TV, step up and make your voice heard by joining Jamie's food revolution.

Oh, and here's a clip from the show this past Friday where to raise awareness, Oliver stages a flash mob at Marshall University. Pretty cool.



Photo courtesy of Jamieoliver.com

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I signed the petition. Habits are hard to break. I remember the wonderful smell of fresh baked buns from the cafeteria. They actually baked! in the golden days. Any food with more artificial ingredients is not nutritious.

Hungry Dog said...

Cool. I like J.O. I've seen one episode of this and I liked it...must find the next one On Demand. I admire what he's doing but I have a hard time thinking it will work. Parents are the only ones who can really change their kids eating habits.

JulieK said...

I love J.O. I missed this episode because I am not at home, but think his reaching out to the High Schoolers may have an impact.You could tell the parents were proud! Shocking the little kids could not name the vegetables...

Mrs. L said...

I have some friends back east who have been watching with their kids...who are totally getting into it which is great! (and I so want to be part of a flash mob someday).

Carolyn Jung said...

I've always liked Jamie, ever since his "Naked Chef'' days. Unlike so many other celeb chefs who are just all about promoting themselves, he's always seemed intent on accomplishing something more meaningful. Bravo to him for shining a light on just how do-able it is to change your eating habits for the better.