Monday, August 20, 2007

Hot Enough For You?

We're finally getting some summer weather in the San Francisco Bay Area. Yes, some people have actually stopped wearing their light sweaters in the city. (Although I think I spotted a turtleneck one evening last week. Wimps.)

Whenever I feel the need to refresh myself, I eat watermelon. It's my favorite fruit growing up and it's healthy for you because of the zinc contained in the juice. Below is my recipe for a watermelon granita made with Italian Prosecco. Prosecco is an Italian sparkling wine and a lot of chefs recommend it as a cheap substitute for other sparkling wine or Champagne. The combination with the watermelon is great, and just looking at it makes you feel cool, huh? Just remember that Prosecco is alcohol and no heat is used during this prep, so the alcohol doesn't get a chance to burn off. It's all there. So I wouldn't recommend this dessert for a kids party. And remember, don't granita and drive. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

where in the Bay Area did u get the Prosecco?

Single Guy Ben said...

Oh, I didn't know it was that hard to find? I've actually never shopped for Prosecco until now. But I happened to be at Fourth Street in Berkeley and went into the Vino! store next to Tacubaya and they had two different Prosecco brands to offer. Granted, that's not a big variety but I wasn't very picky.

I bet you can also find Prosecco at BevMo.

Now, the Spanish Cava I find is a bit hard to find although I've seen it also at BevMo. I actually prefer Cava to Prosecco for a straight bubbly drink by itself.