Monday, April 04, 2011

Hong Kong: Misocool Frozen Yogurt

HONG KONG
Traditional treats in Hong Kong are often served warm, which seems counter intuitive given the heat and humidity here. But there are some cold treats like milk-based drinks and fruit juices. One treat that's common back home in the States haven't seemed to have caught in Hong Kong, and that's the frozen yogurt, or fro-yo.

You know I'm a fan of fro-yo from my various rankings of frozen yogurt spots in the Bay Area, so I was excited to notice a frozen yogurt stand outside a ramen and bento casual dining restaurant called Misocool on the basement level of the relatively new K11 fashion shopping mall in the Tsim Sha Tsui district.

While most people were slurping down noodles or munching on rice dishes, hardly anyone was at the fro-yo stand at the corner. The fro-yo is advertised as Hokkaido style low-fat yogurt. (I should note that because of radiation concerns from Japan, many Hong Kong residents have been suspect of Japanese food, especially any dairy coming from Japan. Even though the fro-yo is probably made from a powder, I'm sure this concern has had an affect on business.)

Misocool's fro-yo is sold for HK$28 (or $3.60) for a regular size and HK$35 (or $4.50) for the large. It comes with the choice of one topping and you can add more for an additional cost. I got the regular and topped it with fresh mango.

The fro-yo is the typical regular flavor, with a strong tart flavor when I took my first bite but which slowly softened and became more subtle as my palate got used to it. I like tart fro-yo so this was just up my alley, and the texture was creamy and smooth, but not super dense. If I were to stack Misocool's fro-yo up against the top fro-yo spots in the Bay Area, it definitely would be among the top three.

Misocool, Shop B231-B233, K11 shopping mall, 18 Hanoi Road, Tsim Sha Tsui, Kowloon.

3 comments:

Mrs. L said...

Hmmm, in the top three? Maybe you should open up a franchise over here :)

Carolyn Jung said...

There's always room for fro-yo. I see the logic of eating hot and spicy foods when it's sweltering outside, so that your body starts to sweat and naturally cool you off. But heck, I'm with you -- give me fro-yo or ice cream instead. ;)

Anonymous said...

A nice place in Tsim Sha Tsui. Will try when next time I go to K11.