Saturday, July 24, 2010

Heating Up the Giants with Cheesesteaks

In baseball, a team can go hot and cold during the long season. It’s really this sport that weeds out the “fair-weather fans.”

If you follow me on Twitter, you know I’ve been checking out a lot of baseball games this season, and right now no team is hotter than the San Francisco Giants. Finally!

A lot of it is credited to some exciting rookies like new catcher Buster Posey and starting pitcher Madison Bumgarner.

As for the food at the Giants’ home, AT&T Park, I feel like there hasn’t been many rookies to help raise the excitement level. There really isn’t much new to write about.

Which brings me to Outta Here!! Cheesesteaks, a food cart in the back of the bleachers section. I don’t know if this is new — or just new to me — because I rarely venture behind the bleachers section. But on a nice day when I wanted to get out of the direct sun at my seat, I discovered this food cart and decided to try something different than my typical pepperoni pizza, clam chowder, hot dog or Cha Cha bowl.

Outta Here! (I finally got the name’s reference to a homerun because it’d typically be hit out of the park behind the bleachers section) serves a somewhat classic cheesesteak made with angus beef for $9. But I don’t eat a lot of red meat, so instead tried the San Francisco Cheesesteak ($9.50), which is made with grilled ground chicken, mushrooms and onions all held together with melted cheddar cheese. There’s also a veggie cheesesteak called the “NorCal” that’s made with shredded zucchini.

For my San Francisco Cheesesteak, I added some sweet peppers. Overall, this was a gooey mess to eat, with the juices of the chicken and melted cheese just getting everywhere. But I have to say, it was pretty good. Something about the melted cheese and the savory chicken pieces just seemed to work really well. Yeah, it was pretty messy to eat, but I had a whole nine innings to lick my fingers.

More ballpark favs:
Public House
Tres Agave

No comments: