Saturday, November 20, 2010

Exploring Fort Mason's Farmers' Market

Last weekend when I was gorging on chocolates at Fort Mason, I ran into its weekly farmers' market in the parking area. I never realized they had a farmers market, but it shouldn't be a surprise since we live in the Bay Area where there's a new farmers' market in virtually every neighborhood these days.

The Fort Mason market happens every Sunday from 9:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. It launched during the summer and is now year round, so you can visit it any time you like during the year. (If the weather's drying out Sunday, you can head out and stock up for your Thanksgiving dinner with a lot of fall fruits and vegetables and apples, pears, persimmons, beets and all sorts of squash.)

The market was especially crowded when I was there last week, and it looked like a hearty crowd despite being smaller than most other markets around town. There were some regular market sellers like Scream Sorbet and Roli Roti, but I also noticed some different stands unique to this market.

It's kind of out of the way for me, but was totally convenient when I was at Fort Mason for an event. It's seems perfect for the Marina crowd, as can be seen by the cyclists and joggers stopping by to check out the goods. They probably can grow with a few more prepared foods vendors, but it's definitely a nice emerging market.








3 comments:

Hungry Dog said...

I've been wanting to check out this market...thanks for the reminder. WHile I am not exactly part of the Marina crowd, I can deal with them. :)

Nate @ House of Annie said...

You really make me miss those California farmer's markets!

Did the Roli Roti truck have porchetta?

Single Guy Ben said...

Nate, I don't know if they had porchetta. That's the thing about the Roli Roti truck, it's not a guarantee of the porchetta when they're elsewhere. But it's guaranteed (with the lines) at the Ferry Building Saturday market.