Friday, June 11, 2010

Cooling Agua Fresca

This weekend promises to be a hot one in the Bay Area. Bring it! I'm ready, especially when I can always get a cool tall glass of aqua fresca to keep me hydrated. Mmmm, I love agua fresca, the popular fruit drink from Mexico. You can find them at most taquerias in town, but I especially love the ones made by Cactus near my Rockridge home. What's amazing about these simple fruit puree mixed with water and a bit of sugar is just how natural and refreshing it tastes. And since Mexico is generally warm, the agua fresca has summery flavors like watermelon along with traditional flavors like horchata and tamarindo. But my all-time favorite (OK, watermelon ranks pretty high) is cantaloupe. I love the floral sweetness of the melon and the pretty orange color. I can take any heat as long as I can get my hands on some agua fresca.

4 comments:

Mary Bergfeld said...

I' have one of those! It looks delicious and I'll wager a great thirst quencher. Have a great weekend. Blessings...Mary

foodhoe said...

mmm, I haven't explored agua frescas, they sound so good. It's 7 am and I'm sitting on the deck for the first time this year. Yay it feels like summer is finally here! The canteloup sounds wonderful, I'll have to keep an eye out for it.

Hungry Dog said...

I love agua fresca, almost any flavor! Perfect for a hot day like this. Hope you are having a great weekend!

Nate @ House of Annie said...

watermelon's my favorite. Never had the cantaloupe. Horchata takes a bit of getting used to, but in the end I always finish it.