Saturday, January 16, 2010

Hearty Vegetables for the Season

It's going to be a wet week ahead for us in the Bay Area (what, is this Seattle?), so I took advantage of the morning sun today and headed out to the farmers market at Oakland's Grand Lake area. It was interesting to see a lot of citrus and leafy vegetables out in the stands, especially the deep, purplish vegetables like this one I noticed called "tardivo." It looks like a cousin of the treviso, which is an Italian radicchio with the dark, royal purple color. I just love how this tardivo has such dramatic curves. In fact, all the vegetables at this particular farmer's stand were pretty curly. I love curly vegetables. :)

5 comments:

JulieK said...

What do you think Tardivo is used for?

Single Guy Ben said...

I think like radicchio, it can be in a crunchy winter salad or braised to soften and served as a side.

Hungry Dog said...

So beautiful. I think we've gotten that in our produce box before. DId you buy any?

Single Guy Ben said...

HD: No, I didn't get any. I had other plans for dinner (doing a test kitchen, check back later this week for that) but now I feel like doing a crunchy winter salad with that as a base.

foodhoe said...

Ooh, that really is interesting looking, I love how the stems are green and the leaves are such a dark rich burgundy color...