Thursday, August 07, 2008

The Push and Pull of a BBQ Pork Sandwich

Summer, for me, is filled with a few baseball games. So there’s a lot of just lounging around for the Single Guy. When I’m at the games, one of my favorite things to get is a barbeque pulled pork sandwich. It may be a bit messy, but I love the BBQ sauce and the tenderness of the pulled pork.

I realized that pulled pork is very similar to make like Hawaiian kalua pig. So recently I decided to make it at home by modifying my kalua pig recipe and then creating an Asian-style BBQ sauce. You could use your own favorite bottled BBQ sauce, but I like sometimes making my own to make sure I’m not eating a lot of preservatives.

To complete it, I just purchased some sandwich buns. If you can't find them, you can use really big hot dog buns, which is what I actually did when I found these Brioche hot dog buns from La Boulangerie sold at my local Whole Foods. When I put everything together (topped off with my pickled onions I already had in my frig) it was the perfect summertime quick-fix dinner. (Well, OK, it wasn't such a quick fix after I spent a Sunday afternoon slow cooking the pulled pork. But that’s the cool thing about the pork, it can last for days.) Enjoy!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

chef ben, that looks and sounds really good! What ballpark has good pulled pork? I'm going to Pacbell park tonite, I'll keep an eye out for that!

Single Guy Ben said...

Foodhoe, hope you find the BBQ pork sandwich at AT&T park. It's underneath the bleachers. It's OK. I actually like the sandwich at the Oakland A's stadium. They have a new BBQ vendor this season. Forgot their name, but they're on the far end of the first base side of the stadium.